Thursday, December 30, 2010

Agape love - "Regardless of circumstance"

Our word LOVE has some serious limitations. I say "I love you" to my children and "I love your shoes" to a stranger. I say, "I will love you forever" to my groom on our wedding day, and "I love the color on these walls" to a visitor. In common ancient Greek, the language in which the New Testament was written, there are four words for "love" :

agape - Agape love is unconditional love, love that "brings forth caring regardless of circumstance," sacrificial love.  

eros - Eros love is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing, as between two lovers.

philos - Philos is love between family and friends, a "brotherly" love.

storge - Storge is affectionate love, like a parent for her child.

For this posting, I'm going to focus on agape love. In my personal study, I wanted to find the times in the New Testament that talked about God having agape love for His children, for me. I'll discuss four times when agape love is directed from God to man.

1. Mark 10:17-22

As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
       “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’”
      “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”  Jesus looked at him and [agape] loved him.    
        “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”  
        At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
 
What amazes me about this passage is that  Jesus looked at him and [agape] loved him. Jesus knew that this rich young ruler was NOT going to give up his wealth to follow Jesus. In a sense, the rich young ruler failed. He chose money over Jesus. He did not have faith. He was greedy instead. He chose to worship wealth instead of worship God. He was an idolater and a sinner, and worse, he thought he was without sin. He thought he had kept all the commandments since [he] was a boy. Yet, Jesus looked at him and loved him.

This illustrates agape love so well to me. Jesus looked at this young man and loved him. The love of Jesus was not dependent upon the rich young ruler's obedience or faith. How comforting! I fail again and again. I sin again and again. I worship idols other than God, yet... Jesus loves me. I know that God is pleased when I obey, when I smash my idols before Him, and when I walk in faith, but when I fail... Jesus still loves me. It reminds me of the verse:

While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.     Romans 5:8

This just proves to me in Scripture, with both passages, that Jesus' love for me is not based on my performance. I could never earn His love. While I was still sinning, Jesus still chose to die for me! That is truly love. May the love I have for my husband, my children, my extended family, my friends, and even my enemies, be love that "brings forth caring regardless of circumstance."  

2. John 3:16

For God so [agape] loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Most of us have heard or read this verse a million times, and it's almost lost its impact because of its familiarity, so let's make it personal.

God loved ME so much, even while I sinned and failed and rejected Him, that He was willing to send His only child to earth so that He could die a horrible death and take the punishment for MY wrong-doing. He did this so that I could live forever when I put my faith and trust in that Son, Jesus.  

The thought of giving up my firstborn son to suffer a horrible death in place of someone who doesn't deserve it makes me want to throw up. I love my children. I hate it when they scrape a knee. I don't wish any harm on them. Yet God sent Jesus, and was willing to let His Son to be whipped and mocked and crucified for ME while I was still sinning.

That's love. Agape love.

3. John 11:5

Jesus [agape] loved  Martha and her sister and Lazarus.

I read this verse first when I was closely studying the interaction between Martha and Mary in Luke 10:38-42. And it made me weep. In summary, Martha is fussing over the details of having Jesus and his crew in her home, and Mary is sitting at Jesus' feet, learning from him like a disciple of a rabbi. Martha gets frustrated because she is doing all the work and asks Jesus to make her sister help her. But Jesus rebukes Martha, and tells her that Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her. (Luke 10:42) 

A couple observations on this passage: Jesus had female friends. Mary was a female and sat at the feet of Jesus, learning like the male disciples. And even though Martha didn't make the right choice this time, Jesus still agape loved her. And Mary. And Lazarus.

Do you see the connection between all these passages? The love of Jesus is not based on a person's actions.  Jesus loves me, "regardless of circumstance."

4. John 13:23

One of them, the disciple whom Jesus [agape] loved, was reclining next to him. (NIV) 
                                                                                                            ... was leaning against His bosom. (KJV)

The disciple John is repeatedly referred to as the disciple whom Jesus loved. We've already established that Jesus doesn't play favorites (see Jesus and Favoritism - Dec 2010), but John was probably Jesus' best friend on earth. He was certainly in the "inner circle" which included Peter, James and John. Imagine being your Savior's best friend. Wow.

What is radical about this verse, is that John, a grown man, is leaning against Jesus' chest. Maybe he was leaning back against Him, or sideways with his head on Jesus' chest. Either way, they were snuggling! We know Jesus was perfect and without sin, so this was love expressed with all purity. How radical! Jesus' love was even demonstrated with physical affection.

This so blew me away that I taught it to my children the morning that I saw it for myself. It puzzled them at first. Jesus snuggling with His disciple? It certainly changes the preconceived notion of Jesus always sitting away from them, teaching them, always in a posture of composed Rabbi, with some distance. No! Jesus was in relationship with them, friendship even, and they were being affectionate!

Make any of you a little uncomfortable? OK, then put yourself in the arms of Jesus. Lean YOUR head against His chest. Let His arms fall around you. Snuggle up to Jesus. Now do you want to just weep?

Our Lord and Savior is personal and intimate and close. His love is not from afar; it is right where you are. He is not a removed teacher, or distant priest. He doesn't withhold Himself from you. He freely gives you His body, His affection, and His love. And that agape love is not dependent on what you do. Though He desires our obedience, His love is not dependent upon it.

Agape love is "unconditional love, love that brings forth caring regardless of circumstance." This is how God loves us. "Regardless of circumstance."

No comments:

Post a Comment